|Tuesday||4:00 PM - 5:30 PM||lesson||Lecture Hall T.10|
|Wednesday||1:00 PM - 2:30 PM||lesson||Lecture Hall T.10|
The Debate Culture/Civilization in English Literature from the XIX century to the present day
The aim of the course is to analyze the contraposition of the terms culture/civilization in English literature from the end of the XVIII century to the present, taking into consideration also the latest interdisciplinary developments of the term culture.
The lessons will be in english
1. E.BURKE, Reflections on the Revolution in France, 1790
2. M.ARNOLD, Culture and Anarchy, C.U.P. 1994 (1869)
3. T.S.ELIOT, Notes Towards the Definition of Culture, 1948
4. F.R.LEAVIS, Mass Civilization and Minority Culture, 1943
5. C.P.SNOW, The Two Cultures, 1959.
6. C.GEERTZ, Interpretazione di culture, Il Mulino, Bologna, 1987 (1973).
7. F.INGLIS, Cultural Studies, Blackwell, 1993.
8. D.CARPI, “Law and culture”, in Helle Porsdam, (ed.), Dialogues on justice: European perspectives on law and humanities, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, 2012.
The exam will consist on an oral discussion on the texts.
Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 41 37129 Verona
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2020 | Verona University | Credits