The strong point and distinguishing feature of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures is its excellence in research and solid international outlook.
Research within the department encourages individual studies as well as interdisciplinary studies, stimulating the sharing of academic results with other universities and institutions and cultivating numerous collaborations, both in Europe and further afield, through international agreements, visiting professors and other initiatives.
Projects and research groupsMany research projects are organised within the department, including projects regarding specialised languages, sociolinguistics, synchronic and diachronic lexicography, language minorities, 20th century German culture and Francophone, North American, South American and Austrian literature and culture. The department is home to several national and international research groups, including the following:
- C.R.I.E.R. (Interdisciplinary and Interdepartmental Research Centre on Romance Europe)
- Anglophone language and culture study group
- 16th century France study group
- Mambrino project in Spanish
- Germanic-Romance language contact in the Southern-Central Alps research group
- Law and Literature interdisciplinary research group
According to the latest survey by ANVUR (Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of University and Research Systems), the Department is ranked first overall among the Foreign Languages and Literatures Departments in Italy. It is also third in the national rankings of large universities.