|Unit||Credits||Academic sector||Period||Academic staff|
|PARTE I||6||L-LIN/21-SLAVIC STUDIES||II SEMESTRE||
|PARTE II||3||L-LIN/21-SLAVIC STUDIES||II SEMESTRE||
The aim of this course is to acquaint students with modern Russian literature (from the 19th to the 20th century), as well as with the culture and history connected to it by a critical approach to classical texts. Every year the course will offer investigations of the main epochs and themes of the above-mentioned period.
«Beauty and Truth: an introduction to Russian literary civilisation»
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the grounds of Russian cultural and literary history, by a critical approach to classical texts of Russian literature (from 19th to the beginning of 20th century), and links to other forms of artistic expression, cultural and historical events. Reading and commenting a choice of literary texts during the classes will allow us to get close to Russian literature's main themes and to experience several ways of textual analysis.
Required reading (in Russian original or in translation)
- A. Pushkin, The Bronze Horseman (Медный всадник)
- A. Pushkin, Mozart and Salieri (Моцарт и Сальери)
- N. Gogol’, The Nose; The Overcoat (Нос, Шинель)
- I. Turgenev, Fathers and Sons (Отцы и дети)
- F. Dostoevskij, Crime and Punishment (Преступление и наказание) or Notes frome the Underground (Записки из подполья), or White Nights (Белые ночи)
- L. Tolstoj, Father Sergy (Отец Сергий) and The Death of Ivan Ilyich (Смерть Ивана Ильича); or Anna Karenina (Анна Каренина)
- N. Leskov, The Enchanted Wanderer (Очарованный странник) or The Sealed Angel (Запечатленный ангел)
- A. Čechov, Ward N.6 (Палата №6) and The Lady with the Dog (Дама с собачкой)
- AA.VV., Storia della civiltà letteraria russa, diretta da M. Colucci e R. Picchio, Torino, UTET, 1997 (a choice of chapters will be indicated at the beginning of the course).
Other materials will be forwarded at the beginning of the course.
Oral assessment of the acquired competences and of students’ textual and cultural-historical analytic ability.