The aim of the course is for the students to acquire the methodology necessary to achieve a diachronic study of French through the analysis of historical dictionaries and encyclopaedias on various supports.
Goals of the History of the French language course
- understand, analyse, interpret historical French dictionaries
- account for the emergence of scientific and technical French
- understand the linguistic issues at stake in the dictionaries analysed
- understand the social issues at stake in the dictionaries analysed
- Individual work
Documents present on the platform
o Present the article droit from Furetière’s dictionary
o Present art, artist, artisan from 17th and 18th French dictionaries
o Present an article from the Encyclopédie
- Zanola, Maria Teresa (2014), Arts et métiers au XVIIIè siècle. Etudes de terminologie diachronique, Préface d’Alain Rey, postface de Bénédicte Madinier, Paris, L’Harmattan.
- Pruvost, Jean (2006), Les dictionnaires français, outils d’une langue et d’une culture, Paris, Éditions Ophrys. Collection : L'Essentiel français.
NB: documents necessary for study will be made available on http://elearning.univr.it.
Oral exams in French.
Continuous assessment only for students present at the lectures.
Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 41 37129 Verona
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2021 | Verona University | Credits