The course is a survey of the modern and contemporary world Economic History. What students will learn during the course will be useful to understand today's societies and economy, by placing them into their historical path, in a global and long running perspective.
Which economic process characterised the modern and contemporary age? What's the connection between industrialisation and the economic development of the West? What's the relation between capitalism, globalisation and economic crises?
The course will try to answer to these and other questions by analysing the main matters of the modern and contemporary economic history. The aim of the course is to analyse the different aspects of the economic development since the late XVIII century to the beginning of the third millennium.
This course will deal with the following topics:
Productive and labour organisation
* the industrial revolutions in Europe
* Industrialisation outside Europe
* business organisation and development
The connection between capitalism, crisis and economic policies
* the evolution of finance
* XX c. economic crises and the war economy
* State intervention into national economies
* Europe: from post-war development to the crisis
* the Asiatic rise
* the boundaries of the economic development
|L.F. Signorini, I. Visco||L’economia italiana||Il Mulino||2002||Non frequentanti|
|Vera Zamagni||Perché l’Europa ha cambiato il mondo. Una storia economica||Il Mulino||2015||9788815258618||Per frequentanti e non frequentanti|
Written exam: three open questions (personal notes and handbook --> Zamagni)
Written exam: three open questions (handbook Zamagni + monograph Signorini-Visco).
In order to pass the exam, all three answers need be sufficient. Every answer can obtain a maximum of 10 points (with a minimum threshold of 6 point as pass mark).
IMPORTANT: Due to the current COVID emergency, the exam will be oral.
- 3 questions, with a sufficient answer in all. No more that 3 questions per student are allowed.
Where and when:
- Zoom. Students enrolled will receive a notification with the time for the connection and the credentials the previous day. Students shall connect at the indicated time, with the microphone off and wait to be called.
- Absence: Students must unsubscribe from the exam list or let the teacher know the day before (by 10 am) they will not partecipate to the exam, Those who won't be online when called, will receive the failure grade (not absence).