On completion of this course, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the method and tools for constituting a specialized corpus;
- conduct some practical activities relating to terminology;
- familiarize with terminological and textual resources;
- use a software for terminology extraction;
- apply tools and methodology in the language of their research project;
- identify various phenomena of terminological nature starting from a small and / or large corpus.
This seminar aims to present the main theoretical notions and application tools for the constitution of a corpus and for terminology extraction in a specialized field. The seminar is divided into two meetings:
- a theoretical meeting introduces the study of some terminological theories that are at the basis of the treatment of terminology and specialized lexicons, especially in relation to the constitution of corpora and electronic databases.
- a workshop aims to enhance and develop the linguistic analysis skills through practical activities with respect to the knowledge acquired during the first meeting.
Attention will be focused on the selection, constitution and analysis of specialized texts. Some major issues related to terminological analysis will be discussed through new ways of accessing knowledge (text mining, digital humanities, etc.), as well as through the development and use of software for the analysis of linguistic data.
|L'Homme Marie-Claude||La terminologie : principes et techniques||Les Presses de l'Université de Montréal||2004||9782760619494|
Students can choose aspects of the module as a topic of their term paper.
CSS e script siti DOL