To acquire knowledge about:
- authors, works, texts and cultural or literary contexts; some texts among the most important for the national literary identity;
- resources needed to comprehend and interpretate texts;
- the theme of the relationship between writing and landscape.
To acquire competences in:
- reading poetry, also in an intertextual view.
At the end of the course students will be able to put the texts known in the adequate cultural context, and to analyze them focusing on the main formal aspects, main themes and the dynamic relationship that connects these two levels.
From the ‘Grand tour’ to Modernity: patterns and forms of travel writing
This course aims to provide students with a general survey of the history of Italian literature by considering travel writing, especially from the period between the XVIII and the XIX century, when the accounts of the Grand Tour as well as the ‘sentimental’ journeys were produced. The first part of the course will be devoted to a historical and critical introduction including the definition and the development of the genre, while the second part will involve reading and discussing extracts from travel literature (diaries, poems, reports, chronicles, short stories, letters). The analysis will be focused especially on Francesco Algarotti and Vittorio Alfieri (probably the most important XIX century travellers) and their works.
Additional material, a detailed program and precise bibliographical references will be published on the e-learning platform.
|Ricciarda Ricorda||La letteratura di viaggio in Italia. Dal Settecento a oggi||Scholé||2019|
|Francesco Algarotti||Viaggi di Russia||Garzanti||2006||(bene anche qualsiasi altra edizione integrale con introduzione e commento)|
|Vittorio Alfieri||Vita||Rizzoli||2004||(bene anche qualsiasi altra edizione integrale con introduzione e commento)|
Target: to check the possess of knowledges and competences acquired during the course
Contents: texts read and analyzed during the course; cultural and biographical contexts involved in texts' genesis; theme aspects concerning the connection writing-travel
The proof will be a oral exam will evaluate linguistic skills, the ability to critically discuss and textual analysis
Evaluation: the mark will be expressed out of 30 (thirties)
To the program indicated, non-attending students will add a book of their choice among the numerous texts dedicated by Attilio Brilli to travel. Just as an example:
- "Arte del viaggiare. Il viaggio materiale dal XVI al XIX secolo"
- "Quando viaggiare era un’arte. Il romanzo del Grand Tour"
- "Il viaggiatore immaginario. L’Italia degli itinerari perduti"
- "Viaggi in corso. Aspettative, imprevisti, avventure del viaggio in Italia"
- "In viaggio con Leopardi"
- "Il viaggio in Italia. Storia di una grande tradizione culturale"