This class aims at developing and consolidating students’ competence in the phonological and morphological aspects of contemporary English, also paying attention to their evolution over time. Students should also acquire a linguistic competence in English at a B2 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Pre-requisite: B2 level
- The International Phonetic Alphabet
- speech organs
- vowels and consonants
- place of articulation
- manner of articulation
- intonation and prosody
- functional and lexical words
- inflectional morphology
- derivational morphology
- common affixes in English
3. Origin and development of the English language: the basics
|Kuiper, Koenraad and W. Scott Allan||An Introduction to English Language: Word, Sound and Sentence (Edizione 4)||Palgrave Macmillan||2016||978-0-230-20801-8|
|Cruttenden, Alan||Gimson's Pronunciation of English (Edizione 8)||Routledge||2014||978-0-4441-8309-2|
|Facchinetti Roberta||Introduction to English Phonetics and Morphology (Edizione 1)||QuiEdit||2020||9788864645506|
WRITTEN EXAM: 30 items on English phonetics and morphology.
Here follow the most important topics covered by the exam:
- phonetic transcription of a set of words/phrases;
- articulatory description (voicing, place of articulation, manner of articulation) of phonetic symbols;
- assimilation, t-voicing, dark l, clipped syllables, silent letters;
- stressed/unstressed syllables, content words, nucleus placement;
- British English vs American English spelling and pronunciation;
- inflectional morphology;
- derivational morphology;
- prefixes and suffixes.
FOR NON-ATTENDERS: Students who cannot attend the lessons are required to study the reference books quoted online.
NB: Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, and in accordance with the University of Verona guidelines, during the 2020 summer session the assessment modality will be modified as follows: online written exam.
Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 41 37129 Verona
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2021 | Verona University | Credits