The course completes the three-year path aimed at acquiring the basics of Russian literary and cultural history. It is therefore linked to courses held in the preceding years complementing them and undertaking in-depth examination of topics related to Russian works and movements.
At the end of the course students will be able to:
1) identify the main dynamics of modern and contemporary Russian historical and literary processes;
2) carry out a textual and comparative analysis using the acquired knowledge;
3) express autonomous and coherent opinions about outstanding moments of Russian cultural and historical development and analyse them properly.
“The great intellectual and spiritual frenzy”: the extraordinary art life in the Pre-revolutionary Russia.
In the thirty years before the Revolution, Russian literature, in close connection with other forms of artistic expression, made an exceptional path in the name of creativity and experimentation. That was the "Russian cultural renaissance" as Nikolaj Berdjaev called it. The course will deal with authors and works of the so-called "Silver Age" as well as hints of other artistic and cultural phenomena (painting, music, theatre), showing the extraordinary awakening of creative forces occurred in the considered period.
The following literary works will be examined:
V. Rozanov, Opavšie list’ja (some extracts)
A. Belyj, Peterburg
A. Blok, Stichi o Prekrasnoj Dame (a selection of poems); Balagančik
V. Majakovskij, Oblako v stanach; Vladimir Majakovskij
An additional selection of poems by different authors will be provided on the course e-learning page.
- AA.VV., Storia della letteratura russa. Il Novecento, Torino, Einaudi, 1991 (a selection of chapters as indicated by the teacher)
- AA.VV., Storia della civiltà letteraria russa, diretta da Michele Colucci e Riccardo Picchio, Torino, UTET, 1997 (a selection of chapters as indicated by the teacher)
- N. Werth, Storia della Russia nel Novecento, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2000
- V. Strada, Simbolo e storia. Aspetti e problemi del Novecento russo, Venezia, Marsilio, 1988 (a selection of chapters as indicated by the teacher)
- A.M. Ripellino, Il trucco e l’anima. I maestri della regia nel teatro russo del Novecento, Torino, Einaudi, 1965 (a selection of chapters as indicated by the teacher)
Further bibliographical information will be provided during the course.
|A.M. Ripellino||Il trucco e l'anima. I maestri della regia nel teatro russo del Novecento||Einaudi||1965|
|V. Strada||Simbolo e storia. Aspetti e problemi del Novecento russo||Marsilio||1988|
|M. Colucci e R. Picchio (a cura di)||Storia della civiltà letteraria russa||UTET||1997|
|AA.VV.||Storia della letteratura russa. Il Novecento.||Einaudi||1991|
|N. Werth||Storia della Russia del Novecento||Il Mulino||2000|
Assessment through oral examination.
The evaluation will consider the following aspects:
- the possession of the fundamentals of history, culture and literature of the period concerned and the ability of understanding the phenomena
- the ability to carry out a critical analysis of the works in the programme
- the quality of personal rework and proper use of the language.
During the interview the students will be also asked to read, translate and comment the texts in Russian language analysed in class.
This exam cannot be taken before passing Russian Literature 2 and Russian Language 2.