The main aim of the course is to provide students with:
- A basic knowledge of the history of British imperialism
- A basic knowledge of postcolonial theories
- Ability to read critically the literary texts included in the reading list, by putting to use the theoretical knowledge gained in class
- Ability to express oneself and critically argue in English
Through Migrant Lenses: Diasporic Voices in Anglophone literatures
The course will investigate the representation of the diasporic experience in three novels representing three different geographical-political contexts, through the lens of recent theorizations in the field of postcolonial and diaspora studies. The course will focus in particular on diasporic identity and its representation in literary texts, and will devote special attention to the notions of ‘home’ and ‘away’ and the re-homing processes that characterise the migrant experience.
Robert J. C. Young, Postcolonialism: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford UP
Caryl Phillips, The Nature of Blood,
Leila Aboulela, The Translator
The course will be taught in English.
Students are required to check throughout the course materials and information uploaded on E-learning UNIVR
The programme is valid until February 2020.
Students who are unable to attend the course will have to replace lecture notes with:
Amitav Ghosh, Sea of Poppies
and the following chapters from Kenny, Kevin, Diaspora. A Very Short Introduction, Oxford UP (disponibile in Frinzi)
1 What is diaspora?
|Robert J. C. Young||Postcolonialism: A Very Short Introduction||Oxford UP||2003|
An oral exam in English will assess:
- a knowledge of primary and secondary texts
- the ability to articulate effectively the information and critical assessments concerning texts and topics discussed in class
Students attending the course will be given the possibility to take a written test (multiple choice) at the end of the course, counting as a part of the whole exam. For further information see the first powerpoint presentation in the webclass.
Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 41 37129 Verona
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2021 | Verona University | Credits