The course aims at helping students develop their competence in English with reference to phonetics and morphology; the basics of the history of English from its origins to the present day will also be illustrated.
Pre-requisite: B2 level
- The International Phonetic Alphabet
- speech organs
- vowels and consonants
- place of articulation
- manner of articulation
- intonation and prosody
- functional and lexical words
- inflectional morphology
- derivational morphology
- common affixes in English
3. HISTORY OF ENGLISH
- Mediterraneans, Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans
- Old English, Middle English, Modern English
- Main varieties of Present-day English
Cruttenden, Alan (2014) "Gimson's Pronunciation of English". London: Routledge.
Facchinetti, Roberta (2016) "English Phonetics and Morphology. A Reader for First Year University Students" (3rd ed.), Verona: Quiedit.
Kuiper, Koenraad and W. Scott Allan (2010) "An Introduction to English Language: Word, Sound and Sentence" (3rd ed.), Oxford: Palgrave Macmillan.
Plag, Ingo (2003) "Word-Formation in English". Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
|Kuiper, Koenraad and W. Scott Allan||An Introduction to English Language: Word, Sound and Sentence (Edizione 4)||Palgrave Macmillan||2016||978-0-230-20801-8|
|Facchinetti, Roberta||English Phonetics and Morphology. A Reader for First Year University Students (Edizione 3)||QuiEdit||2016||9788864642314|
|Cruttenden, Alan||Gimson's Pronunciation of English (Edizione 8)||Routledge||2014||978-0-4441-8309-2|
|Plag, Ingo||Word-Formation in English (Edizione 1)||Cambridge University Press||2003||978-0-521-52563-3|
WRITTEN EXAM: 30 items on phonetics, morphology and on the basics of the history of English.
Here follow the most important topics covered by the exam:
- phonetic transcription / English spelling of a set of words/phrases;
- articulatory description (voicing, place of articulation, manner of articulation) of a set of phonetic symbols;
- assimilation, t-voicing, dark l, clipped syllables;
- stressed/unstressed syllables, content words, nucleus;
- British English vs American English spelling and pronunciation;
- inflectional morphology;
- derivational morphology;
- prefixes and suffixes;
- Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans and their languages;
- Old English, Middle English, Modern English: basic aspects;
- Standardization of English and Present-day English.