|Tuesday||2:30 PM - 4:00 PM||lesson||Lecture Hall T.7|
|Thursday||11:30 AM - 1:00 PM||lesson||Lecture Hall T.7|
This course is aimed at illustrating the development and diversification of the English language in English varieties. It is also intended to shed light on the factors that determined the emergence of Englishes.
“English varieties: the spread of English around the globe”
Our discussion in class will consider the following topics:
– Key concepts of English varieties
– Models of varieties of English
– English: a history of language contact
– English-based pidgins and creoles
– English on the British Isles
– English in the US
– English in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific
– English in India and South East Asia
– English in Africa
– English as a global voice
Crystal, David. 2003. English as a Global Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Schneider, Edgar. 2013. English Around the World. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Further information on relevant literature will be provided at the beginning of the course.
The course will be held in English.
Pre-requisite: C2 level
Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 41 37129 Verona
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2020 | Verona University | Credits