To show the organization of the course that includes this module, follow this link Course organization
The module aims at offering an overview of late nineteenth- to twentieth-century English literature, as well as at presenting the students with the basics of textual analysis.
“Modernist experimentations on time, conscience, and Tradition: T.S. Eliot and Virginia Woolf”.
The module will offer an introduction to the modernist experimentation in poems and novels on the dramatic and interior monologue against the backdrop of a revised notion of Tradition. T.S. Eliot’s The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock and The Waste Land will be examined as privileged examples of the poet’s own interpretation of the relation between past and present through the application of his mythical method. The exploration of time and conscience will then be situated within the context of Virginia Woolf’s experimental narrative in Mrs Dalloway and To The Lighthouse, with special regard to memory and interartistic issues. This experimentation will be located within a wider literary panorama spanning from the Victorian age to the present.
LANGUAGE: the module will be held in Italian; primary texts will be read in English.
• Robert Browning, Poems/Poesie, a cura di Angelo Righetti, Milano, Mursia, 1990: “Introduzione” (pp. 5-33); Porphyria’s Lover; My Last Duchess da Dramatic Lyrics (1842)
• T.S. Eliot, Prufrock and Other Observations (1917), in R. Sanesi (a cura di), Poesie, Milano, Bompiani, 1983;
• T.S. Eliot, La terra desolata (1922), a cura di A. Serpieri, Milano, Rizzoli (BUR), 2006
• Virginia Woolf, La Signora Dalloway (1925; parallel text), a cura di Marisa Sestito, Venezia, Marsilio, 2012
• Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse (1927), annotated and with an introduction by Mark Hussey, Harcourt, 2005; (or any other English-language edition).
• A. Serpieri, Le strutture profonde, Bologna, Il Mulino, 1973, pp. 89-119;
• Maria DiBattista, Virginia Woolf’s Major Novels: The Fables of Anon, Harvard, Yale University Press, 1980, pp. 22-63;
• S. Bigliazzi, Il colore del silenzio, Venezia, Marsilio, 1998, pp. 169-196;
• L.M. Crisafulli e K. Elam (a cura di), Manuale di letteratura e cultura inglese, Bononia University Press, 2009 (from the Victorian age to the present) or the following English-language handbook (from the Victorian age to the present): Sanders, The Short Oxford History of English Literature, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2004.
The exam will consist in an oral discussion in Italian and in English of the module’s topics.
Lungadige Porta Vittoria, 41 37129 Verona
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2020 | Verona University | Credits